Drama at King’s is a very successful and engaging part of the curriculum and when studied at GCSE level Drama can help to develop many skills. Through practising Drama pupils learn social and group skills, develop their imagination, gain extra confidence and improve problem solving and communication skills as well as examining in depth the skills needed to create effective and engaging performance work.
This is an excellent course for those who wish to study a subject that is both practical and creative. There are options to focus studies solely on acting and performing but there is also the breadth to study design options such as costume or technical options such as lighting. The course has breadth and depth and is always demanding of our pupils in a very positive way.
Rehearsals after school or occasionally at weekends are an important part of the course, as are regular theatre visits, so pupils must be committed, want to work hard and be supportive of other people.
A Level Drama and Theatre Studies combines an academic study of the theatre with the development of students' own skills. It is ideal for those who have a strong interest in drama and the theatre or have strong design or technical skills which they wish to pursue. It is not necessary to have done GCSE Drama to take this course, though it will be valuable. Good English skills are required, an understanding of performance and a high degree of artistic sensitivity.
Pupils who do not wish to study Drama at examination level, can join our drama or dance clubs or go along to see one of the varied productions we stage in the John Moore Theatre or Wightman Studio. Individual speech and drama lessons are available from friendly and experienced teachers; pupils can take LAMDA (London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art) examinations in acting, improvisation, verse and prose, musical theatre or public speaking.
- Regular theatre trips including annual residential tours to London for Years Eleven to Thirteen
- Workshops and performances from visiting professional companies and performers
- Individual speech and drama classes and optional LAMDA examinations offered in December and July
- Separate productions and drama and dance clubs for all age ranges
- Technical theatre clubs for all years
- The opportunity to take Silver, Bronze and Gold Arts Award accredited by Trinity College London