The following information is set out to help the parents of prospective pupils understand the registration process, when expressing interest in a place for their child or children at King's Hawford.
- Following an initial enquiry by the parent, the school office will send a prospectus and detailed information on fees, allowances and other relevant topics by post to the parents.
- Parents can then decide if they wish to meet the Headmaster and tour the school. An appointment can be made by telephoning the Headmaster's secretary.
- Following their visit and tour of the school, parents or guardians would then be invited to complete and return a registration form together with a fee of £40. This is an expression of Interest for a child at King's Hawford. It does not guarantee reservation of a place. The £40 fee (which is non-refundable) covers administration and the cost of assessing each child.
- Children from age five and upward will then be invited to spend a day at school, during which time they will be assessed. The assessments vary depending on the age of the child concerned. During the day children will be asked to undertake tests in English, maths and verbal reasoning. For younger children (Reception age) the assessment will largely be of the child's ability to settle into our routines and we will look also at the child's potential to access our curriculum. Children below the age of five will need to attend our Kindergarten for either a morning or an afternoon. If relevant, a report from the child's previous school is requested.
- If all goes well, a place will then be offered, depending on availability at that time, and will be held for two weeks. Acceptance of entry into the King's Foundation, by payment of a £200 deposit, will be requested at this point. This is refunded when children leave the Foundation. Children joining the Kindergarten pay the refundable deposit when they transfer to Reception. If there are no available places at this time, it may be possible to offer a place on a waiting list.
- All children in their final year at the King's Junior Schools are required to take the same entrance examinations as external candidates for entry to the Senior School at eleven, but on a qualifying rather than a competitive basis.
If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to call our Registrar Donna Wenyon on 01905 451292.