King's Hawford Kindergarten
With a dedicated Kindergarten situated in the very heart of the school, the early years journey at King’s Hawford starts at the age of two.
King’s Hawford is often described as “one big happy family”. Our warm and nurturing nursery environment provides the stability young children need to develop in confidence and independence, whilst the breadth of opportunities and activities introduces them to the fun and adventure that awaits as they start their learning journey.
Our Kindergarten children experience everything that Hawford has to offer. Whether it’s caring for our chickens and birds, swimming in our indoor heated pool, exploring our Forest School, or taking part in exciting musical sessions, there really is something for everyone.
What makes Kindergarten at King’s Hawford so special?
- Outdoor learning is at the heart of everything we do. We have been awarded a Gold Award from The Council for Learning Outside the Classroom. We have a dedicated outdoor classroom for themed activities, and regularly explore the beautiful countryside that surrounds us.
- Children enjoy extensive use of our school site, with access to our indoor heated pool, an outdoor garden area, a well-equipped Forest School, and an outdoor play area with adventurous play equipment.
- We maintain small groups with generous staff ratios so we can tailor activities to each child’s particular interest.
- We offer an extended programme of activities including indoor and outdoor PE sessions, Shake, Rattle and Groove Music sessions, Rugby Tots, Ballet, Forest School sessions, weekly swimming lessons, and for our three years olds – an introduction to German.
- Children build strong links with our Reception class to ensure a smooth transition to school.
- We offer a full-time provision to support working families with childcare, operating 7:30 – 6pm Monday to Friday throughout the year. There is also an optional breakfast service for children arriving between 7:30am and 8.00am.
The journey through Kindergarten
Children can join us at King’s Hawford as soon as they reach the age of two where they will be welcomed into Kindergarten 1. Even at this young age we introduce them to a whole range of exciting indoor and outdoor experiences, whilst ensuring they have access to activities that appeal to their individual interests.
As they approach preschool age they move to Kindergarten 2 where we introduce additional preschool activities and routines, and take steps to further integrate them into school life to ensure they are well prepared for their transition to Reception.
Our daily routines
Our aim in Kindergarten is to offer children a safe and nurturing environment. Each child is assigned a keyworker who will keep you up-to-date with their progress and take overall responsibility for the wellbeing of your child.
- Children sit together to enjoy a range of delicious meals throughout the day, all of which are prepared in our on-site kitchens. Our morning snack includes fruit, toast, and milk or water. Lunch is a healthy two course cooked lunch, and those staying for the day enjoy a sandwich during afternoon break.
- We enjoy a ‘rest-time’ after lunch with gentle music and stories for those who still need to nap.
- During the course of any given day children enjoy a mix of free and themed activities. We have regular circle time sessions with singing, rhymes and stories, alongside activity-based sessions and outdoor play times.
Flexible sessions and a full-time provision
Private nursery care includes the option of full and half day sessions, and pick up times to coincide with the traditional school day. We operate between the hours of 7:30am and 6pm Monday to Friday throughout the year. We accept vouchers towards payment and nursery funding. Please contact our Registrar for details.
Find out more about our session times and fees.
The Nursery follows the school's term dates, with the addition of holiday club to provide continued care throughout the school holidays.