Section menu

OV

12 June

From the Archives: Wulstan House

1961: Establishment of Wulstan House

With the increase of pupil numbers at King’s after the Second World War, the two existing Day Boy Houses Chappel and Creighton grew to an unwieldy size.  In 1961 Mr. Annett (HM 1959-1979) decided to cut Middle School dayboys out of houses and divide the two sets of Senior School dayboys into four.

From Creighton House, Mr. Annett formed Wulstan House, with purple for its colour, and Mr. F.R. Logan became its first Housemaster.  The house was named after St. Wulstan, former prior of Worcester, and was located in the New Block (now the Annett Building) until 1989 when it relocated to School House, where it has remained ever since.

Born c.1007 in one of the Itchingtons in Warwickshire, Wulstan attended school in the Benedictine monastery at Evesham before attending the larger one at Peterborough.  He was later ordained by the Bishop of Worcester as the parish priest of Hawkesbury, Gloucestershire.  Wulstan subsequently followed his father into the cloister at Worcester, eventually becoming prior, teaching children of the cloister.  He increased the establishment of monks from twelve to 50, a number supportable only by the growth and better management of the monastic estates.  It appears that Wulstan was a missionary at heart: in his enlarged and outward-looking priory it seems that boys were taught in growing numbers.  Wulstan died in 1095 in his eighty-eighth year, and was buried at Worcester Cathedral.  He was subsequently canonised on 21 April 1203 by Pope Innocent III.  St. Wulstan was later adopted by King John as his spiritual patron during his quarrel with the pope; in 1216 John, in his last swift illness, willed that he should be buried “in the Church of Saint Mary and St. Wulstan of Worcester”.

St. Wulstan, as depicted in a window in Worcester Cathedral Cloisters. Reproduced by permission of the Chapter of Worcester Cathedral.

St. Wulstan, as depicted in a window in Worcester Cathedral Cloisters.

Reproduced by permission of the Chapter of Worcester Cathedral.

 

The New block (Annett building)

The New Block (now the Annett Building), home of Wulstan House 1961-1989

 Photograph taken from the King’s School Prospectus, 1967-1968