Normally this week Heads across the land come together to attend the annual Headmasters’ and Headmistresses’ Conference (HMC). This year, due to COVID, the Conference was held virtually. In addition to online sessions, King’s School Headmaster, Gareth Doodes, took the opportunity to visit one of our sister King’s Schools in Gloucester where he met up with the Head there, who is also an OV, David Morton (Cl 84-91). David has been in post at The King’s School, Gloucester for three years and Gareth very much enjoyed hearing about his experiences during his time at King’s Gloucester, the ways that the School has adapted to Covid and his thoughts about the coming year.
Going forwards, Gareth Doodes is very keen to strengthen the relationship that King’s School Worcester has with the other six King’s School Foundations, these being The King’s Schools located in Gloucester, Canterbury, Chester, Ely, Peterborough and Rochester. in 1541, King Henry VIII established these seven schools (along with the cathedral schools at Carlisle and Norwich, now no longer independent schools) as part of the ‘New Foundation’ cathedrals, which, as former monasteries, did not already have public grammar schools. Henry VIII sought therefore, to provide a grammar school for each of these reconstituted cathedrals. The cathedral statues at Worcester established and endowed a public grammar school, providing for a Schoolmaster, an Usher and forty King’s Scholars, who would have had their school fees paid by the Dean and Chapter. School fees in 1541 would have been £1.5s.51/2d per pupil!