1961: Establishment of Bright House
With the increase of pupil numbers at King’s after the Second World War, the two existing Day Boy Houses Chappel and Creighton grew to an unwieldy size. In 1961 Mr. Annett (HM 1959-1979) decided to cut Middle School dayboys out of houses and divide the two sets of Senior School dayboys into four.
From Chappel House, Mr. Annett formed Bright House, with orange for its colour. The House was named in honour of King’s celebrated sixteenth-century Headmaster, Henry Bright (HM 1589-1627), whose tenure was described in Alex Macdonald’s 1936 history of King’s as “the golden age of the school”.
Henry Bright was baptised in the Worcester church of St Peter the Great on 26 October 1562, and was himself a pupil at King’s. In 1580 he matriculated at Brasenose College but evidently switched colleges, as when he took his BA in January 1584 he was a student at Balliol. He took his MA three years later. During his seven years in Oxford, Bright acquired considerable learning in Greek, Latin and Hebrew. In 1589, after ordination, he was appointed as headmaster at King’s, aged 26. In his 38 years as headmaster he achieved a national reputation and was still being applauded long after his death on 4 March 1626/7.
Mr. H. Neill became Bright’s founding Housemaster, and Bright House was located in the New Block (now called the Annett Building) for its first 40 years; since 2001 it has been located in Choir House.
The New Block (now the Annett Building), home of Bright House 1961-2001
Photograph taken from the King’s School Prospectus, 1967-1968
Henry Bright, as depicted in a window in Worcester Cathedral Cloisters.
Reproduced by permission of the Chapter of Worcester Cathedral