King's Hawford

8 March

Hawford Colts Football Tournament

On the afternoon of Wednesday 7th March, the Kings Hawford Colts A and B teams competed in the annual Kings Hawford Football tournament at the senior school pitches against six other schools.

Our B team absolutely surpassed themselves and performed to a fantastic level in defeating a number of other school’s A teams to reach the semi-finals. Within the group stage, they beat Kings St Albans and Bluecoat and lost to RGS the Grange in a tight 1-0 defeat. This was enough to see them qualify for the quarter-finals where they met WInterfold school. The boys won a dramatic match that went to sudden death penalties.

In the semi-finals, the boys were pitted against RGS The Grange. The extra motivation for this match was that the winners were likely to face the Kings Hawford A team in what would hopefully be an ‘all-Hawford’ final. The Grange entered the match with very negative tactics in which they defended their own penalty area throughout in the hope of securing a 0-0 draw and taking the match to penalties. They executed this plan superbly and, unfortunately for our boys, RGS The Grange were victorious in the penalty shootout.

Meanwhile, the Kings Hawford A team were taking the tournament by storm. Within their group stage, they won all three matches against Winterfold, Wolverhampton Grammar School and RGS The Grange B team, reaching the quarter-final stage at a canter. The boys defeated Kings St Albans 2-0 in the quarter-final to set up a potentially challenging semi-final fixture against Wolverhampton Grammar. The Hawford team produced the performance of the day with a 3-0 victory including two excellent headed goals by Archie Holland. In the final, we faced RGS The Grange who again adopted their negative, defensive tactics and were again successful in securing a 0-0 draw to take the match to penalties. Jack Dowty in the Hawford goal pulled off three penalty saves in the shootout and the winning penalty was converted by Toby Cunningham.

It was a fantastic and successful afternoon that showed the excellent depth of quality that we currently possess in our Colts Football. The A team did not concede a goal throughout the entire tournament and will now be looking forward to the challenge of the ISFA competition at Repton School next Wednesday.