University application preparation
From September 2019 entry onwards, students will have access to and training for the Unifrog support website (unifrog.org). This is an excellent portal and resource and enables analysis and completion of the following areas. It seamlessly links with UCAS and other provider application services.
Explore how interests lead to different education and training pathways. See what steps need to be ticked-off to stand the best chance of application success. Study expert guides explaining how to navigate each step in the application process.
Compare every university course in the UK, as well as every US university, and every undergraduate programme taught in English in Europe. Compare every UK degree apprenticeship and School Leaver Programme, and every Oxbridge college and FE college course.
One place to collaboratively draft all the materials needed for applications – from UK Personal Statements to the Common App Essay, from UK Subject References to US Counsellor Letters of Recommendation. Best-practice guidance, multi-teacher feedback, complete version histories.
At-a-glance reports on where each student has got to with their applications. Record every careers' guidance interaction. Support planning the year’s careers' guidance programme. Plug-and-play careers' teaching resources for every year group and pathway. Record and analyse destination data.
OXBRIDGE UNIVERSITIES PREPARATION
Making an application to the universities of Oxford or Cambridge involves a number of additional stages when compared to applications for most other UK institutions. To support King’s students through this process, we run a dedicated programme of activities and guidance which begins in the Lower Sixth.
This programme at King’s includes:
- Introductory talk with feedback from successful applicants in the year above
- Departmental support and guidance e.g. on wider reading, mock interviews, and guidance on how to prepare for entrance tests
- Wider reading presentations were given by students to their peers to help them develop their interest in their chosen subject areas
- A visit to the Oxford and Cambridge conference held in Edgbaston towards the end of the spring term
- A talk on personal statements for Oxford and Cambridge applications
- A dedicated Oxford and Cambridge preparation day in the summer term including a 1:1 meeting with a member of staff to help provide focus for preparation over the summer holidays
- Visits to both Oxford and Cambridge university open days
- Support in completing additional forms e.g. the Supplementary Application Questionnaire (SAQ)
- Additional mock interview practice at the Interview Evening in November
- A series of final preparation sessions in the four weeks prior to interviews
- King’s students have had considerable success in gaining offers for places in recent years for a range of different courses including; Medicine, Natural Sciences, History and Politics, Classics, Modern Languages, Psychological and Behavioural Sciences, Engineering, Physics, Chemistry, and Theology.